Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spring Break Science Projects?

Last week was Spring Break, and the kids were both assigned science projects that were to be turned in as soon as they got back to school. Mackenzie had to do hers on an animal in its natural habitat. She could do a drawing or a model or even bring pictures from a magazine, but we decided to do a model. Kenzie has started loving to bake cupcakes (from the box of course) so I suggested that she make a cake that looked like the ocean from an underwater view. Then we could do a model of a fish in its natural habitat. It turned out GREAT!!!



Jordan had to do a science fair project. YUCK. You remember the display boards, the Question, Hypothesis, Materials, Procedure, Results, Conclusion etc. Anyway, he wanted to see if tomato plants really did grow better in a Topsy Turvy (You have seen them on TV) or in a traditional planter. Obviously that could not be done overnight, so we started that last month. I have been dreaming about tomatos for weeks now, but the project is done, and he made an A on it!!! Yay!!!

So, if anyone needs some ideas for any science projects, let me know. I have seen several lately and some of them are really cool.

Oh, by the way, Jordan's experiment results..... The traditional plant was larger by 2 inches at the end of the month. That does not mean that it will produce more tomatos, just that the plant is bigger. I will keep you posted on the tomato production! HA


2 comments:

CHRISTY said...

Really interested to see how Jordan's final production turns out with tomatoes. I'm doing the same this year, only with 5 gallon buckets instead of the TV version. Mackenzie's cake looks great! I bet it was yummy too!

Shannon said...

Her cake was delicious. They finally ate it yesterday (It was baked on Sunday) and she brought half of it home. Let me know when Gracie has her first science fair project, I should have an abundance of ideas by then!