I know I have been slack on blogging since we got back from the beach. And for that I apologize. I have lots of pictures to post, but am having a glitch somewhere between the camera and the computer. The story of my life, right? Anyway, we had a fantastic time at the beach and are ready to go back at a moments notice. Don't you just love summer?
One highlight from our trip is rather strange. I am from THE SOUTH and I love it. There is so much history in SC you can almost feel it. I have always enjoyed "Old South" history and stories. I grew up hearing ghost stories and old wives tales about any and everything. One ghost story has always interested me. It is the story of Alice Flagg. (If you have never heard this story, you can google her name and it will come up.) According to the story, Alice was buried in Pawley's Island, and because that is just a few miles from where we were staying, Marty and I decided to go find her grave.
My friend Debbie and her son Matt came down on Friday and the six of us went on Sunday to find the grave. The cemetery was full of very old graves. Some back in the 1700's. The old church is simple but gorgeous. And the worn path around Alice's grave proved that people believe her ghost exists. The solid slab that has nothing on it but the word ALICE cannot be missed. It is the only grave with no grass around it. Apparently, some people have been trying other methods to raise her spirit with candles and stuff because there was melted wax on her grave as well.
I am not a big fan of cemetery's but there was something different about this one. The moss hanging from the trees, the old tombstones, and the intimacy of the plots. Most cemeterys these days have the graves in rows. This one was almost in a circle. All facing toward the church. There were small fences around the family plots, and most were close to, if not under, an oak tree.
I took lots of pictures of this part of the vacation, but like I said before, I am having issues getting them to upload. As soon as I get that resolved, I will post them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)

1 comment:
There are no pictures here that I can see, are you sure you put them on?
Post a Comment